Joomla is an open source Content Management System (CMS), which is used to build websites and online applications. It is free and extendable which is separated into frontend and back-end templates (administrator). Joomla is developed using PHP, Object Oriented Programming, software design patterns and MySQL (used for storing the data).
What is Content Management System (CMS)?
The Content Management System (CMS) is a software which keeps track of the entire data (such as text, photos, music, documents, etc.) which will be available on your website. It helps in editing, publishing and modifying the content of the website.
Joomla has its own powerful built-in features (core features).
It is an open source platform and available for free.
- Joomla is designed to be easy to install and set up even if you’re not an advanced user.
- Since Joomla is so easy to use, as a web designer or developer, you can quickly build sites for your clients. With minimal instructions to the clients, clients can easily manage their sites on their own.
- It is very easy to edit the content as it uses WYSIWYG editor (What You See Is What You Get is a user interface that allows the user to directly manipulate the layout of the document without having a layout command).
- It ensures the safety of data content and doesn’t allow anyone to edit the data.
- By default, Joomla is compatible with all browsers.
Real World Examples of What Joomla Can Create?
- Corporate web sites or portals
- Corporate intranets and extranets
- Online magazines, newspapers, and publications
- -commerce and online reservations
- Government applications
- Small business web sites
- Non-profit and organizational web sites
- Community-based portals
- School and religious web sites
- Personal or family homepages
Creating a Sample website
1.Extract joomlapackage zip file.
2.Run it on wampserver,you will get the index page:
3.Enter sitename,description,admin email,username,password.Then click next:
3.Enter database details:dbtype as mysql,hostname as localhost,username as root,password should kept blank etc.Then click next:
4.Follow finalization:Select default English.Then click Install:
5.Click “Remove Installation Folder”
6.Click “Administrator”.You will get Login page:
7.Click your sitename on top of page:”mynewsite”.You will get:
8.By Login as administrator,you will get edit options:
Select an Article to Link with the MenuItem